The benefits of providing placements
There are many benefits to providing student placements – for both your organisation and the student themselves. Here are just some of them:
- You will be paid a small daily fee for providing a placement, currently placements can last from 20 -100 days. Students will generally undertake 70-80 day placements in their 2nd year of undergraduate and 100 day placements in their final year. They will usually undertake 80 day placements in the 1st year of a master’s programme.
- You get the chance to share your organisation’s values and good practice with a future qualified social worker.
- It’s an opportunity for personal and career development for members of your team acting as on-site supervisors/ mentors.
- Practice Educators who are working with students, can help your service keep up to date with good practice.
- Students come to placements with new ideas and a variety of legislative knowledge which can benefit staff and users – learning is a two-way process.
- It can be a rewarding and beneficial experience for your service to have a student around, asking questions about what you do and why?
- It’s a chance for voluntary, private and independent sector organisations to influence the development of Social Workers.
1. National Occupational Standards
2. Professional Capabilities Framework
3. Health Care and Professions Council Standards of conduct, performance and ethics